Monday, January 8, 2018

Week 72 - Happy New Year!

Dear friends and family,
This week was a great one. We try to take one day a week off from office work week and Tuesday was that day for us this week. It was an epic day of work. We taught 3 new people that we had appointments planned for and it’s always great being in my sector. I learn to love all my sectors and this one, Inaquito, is right up there with my favorites. That evening made the upside down pineapple cake my mom had sent me the recipe for. We had been anticipating making it all week long and it was great. I’m happy and really tranquilo. I have been enjoying life here and adventuring lots while we have been helping so many people. There is a baptism tonight! Congrats Emilee!
Today (Saturday) was eventful! We got permission to go to the south of the city and see Old Town Quito. We toured the basilica and I took lots of photos. After that, we got bandeja paisa for lunch at a Colombian grill for Elder Morton's birthday. I feel tranquilo and educated. Tonight we will find out who will be Elder Castagno’s trainee as the new visa secretary! That will be a riot. I have a feeling that I will be moved to the other sector in La Luz to be the companion of Elder Aquino. The interesting news there is that is the house where I stayed the first night in the mission, and is also where I have stayed for the many events here in Quito.
Next week is week one (a.k.a. death week) and will be ridiculous in every meaning of the word. I will be making a farewell video for those missionaries going home Monday night and finish the welcome video for the new missionaries arriving on Tuesday. I’ll also be stressing about securing breakfasts and lunches for about 30 over two days, and I’ll be in trainings all week long. And we’ll pretty much overnight Monday at the airport with missionaries leaving at pretty much every hour – 12:05am, 4:00am, 6:10am, and 9:30am. The airlines advise that we are in the airport for check in 3-hours before international flights, so we’ll get there around 9:00pm and I’ll be helping check people in people and pay for bags all night long. For the record, it’s never like this!
The sister missionaries from my group (who arrived in Ecuador with me) go home next change. It will be strange dropping them off.
Do you have questions for me?
I love you all a lot,
Elder Ericksen

Other tidbits:
  • The paper machete doll in one of the photos is part of the New Year’s tradition in Ecuador where (as we understand) the people make or purchase these dolls to represent the year just completed and then burn them in large piles in the street at the New Year. My fingers are crossed that little guy survived and will find a spot on the shelf in Adam’s room come August. 











No comments:

Post a Comment