Monday, July 16, 2018

Week 99 - The Miracle of Living in the Moment


Dear friends and family,
You know those special kinds of memories that are really stuck? They’re the memories that – being extraordinarily good, bad, or impactful – are burned into our minds. For me, these are the memories where I can remember where I was, who was there, what was said or done, how I felt and, in many instances, I can even remember specific smiles or facial expressions. Isn’t that curious? Why does this happen? Why are some memories deeply registered in our minds while others, like a breeze, are slowly wisped away?
While pondering this line of thought, a realization hit me. While serving here in Ecuador, I have recorded a shockingly larger number of these special-type memories than any other time in my life and their details I can call up with vivid texture in a moment’s notice. I don’t doubt my increased letter and journal writing along with more frequent self-reflection have contributed to the increase, but I personally believe it has to do with something a lot larger as well. The increased memories also stem from my increased efforts to live here and now - right smack in the middle of the moment.
This week I archived a few new vivid and special memories. I directed and taught in my last zone meeting. Brother Luigi brought his famous encebollado for lunch. I listened to the final testimonies of two missionaries who arrived with me, Elders Jensen and Moody, before slowly standing to give mine. And I sang the last song I’ll ever sing in a zone meeting in my mission. It was #88 “Placentero Nos Es Trabajar” which is a hymn not found in the English hymnbook. I looked down at my shoes and then back up again to see a few smiling faces as we sang the last line:
“Oh hermanos, adios, pues adios! El momento de ir vino ya. Si guardamos la fe en el gran Dios, nos veremos aun mas alla. Oh hermanos, adiós…pues adiós.”
(Goodbye brothers, goodbye. The time to go has arrived. If we keep our faith in our great God, we will see one another again/on the other side. Goodbye brothers, well goodbye.)
President Murphy leaned in and reminded me: “You won’t be singing this one again since it’s only in Spanish.” I know, that is why I chose it.
I mentioned the final testimony. It’s something we do here. All those who are going home in the next transfer stand and offer testimony at the end of their last zone meeting to express how they feel, to share what they have learned, and perhaps give even a little advice. It was a really somber moment and not only because it was MY last time. You see, speaking of deeply registered memories, I remember vividly the first time I watched a missionary give his last testimony. He was Elder Mendoza from Arizona. I knew him for only a brief time having just arrived in Ecuador myself. I knew he had been a zone leader and a successful missionary. I remember thinking that I would be happy if I ever mastered Spanish the way he had. I respected him and I aspired to be like him.
On Wednesday I stood in the exact same spot that Elder Mendoza stood on October 16, 2016, in the same chapel where it all started for me, and I said a lot of the same things he said. I felt nearly every emotion we humans can recognize among them extreme peace, gratitude, excitement, joy, humility, longing, and surges of sadness. I am happy to say that I have added my own version of that vivid memory recorded 2 years ago and that I will always be proud of arriving to the stature of that great missionary I so aspired to be.
A letter or two ago my Aunt Kris asked if I ever got a chance to breathe and “soak in” the moments. The answer is absolutely yes! All the time I do. I have been soaking in things almost every day for the last 714 days that have passed us by. And that’s how I’d describe this past week…I soaked it in. I don’t have any regrets. I don’t have any resentments. I don’t have a single ounce of hate or anger toward any person in the world. I’ve forgiven, forgotten and healed. In other words, my past has been organized, learned-from, and purified. Yesterday is where it belongs, and it is there, neat and tidy. Looking forward, I am anxious to hug my mom and my dad, eat Sombreros carne asada, and watch Star Wars 8 with Nathan. And who wouldn’t be? Yes, sensitive, tearful, blissful, and eternally joyful moments are on the horizon of my tomorrow. They’re coming and I feel them but they don’t impede my “now”. On the contrary, they are helping and motivating me to be even more happy and sincere in my efforts to work and soak up all I can here and now.
Let the past be the past. Don’t focus on your capacity for happiness in the future. Why hope for something in the past that cannot or will not be? Why plan or wait to be happy? No, let’s live in the moment now. And let’s love the moments. See you all in a few weeks.

With affection, Elder Ericksen













No comments:

Post a Comment