Monday, April 24, 2017

Week 35 - Clear Sky, Sunshiney Days

La familia Lopez
Dearest friends and family,

Hello, my loved and cherished friends and family. I’m happy and thankful to be writing you. This week we’ve enjoyed many warm days and clear mornings. I think it’s only natural for such beautiful days to plant a thought in my mind like “hmm, beach day?” In high school, clear skies and sunshine usually meant making a few phone calls and hitting the road, even more so this 2nd week of Spring Break back in Rancho (or at least I think it is). I don’t mention the beach to suggest we have one here in Tulcan – we are nowhere near one. But I do mention it because clear mornings and sunny skies give me a little extra excitement and energy to get out of the house and work hard as a missionary.

Today was one of those clear morning, sunshine-y days but that didn’t stop the dark clouds from rolling in around 4:00pm and the rain from hitting us hard. Last night, the office elders called and asked us to finish removing some old furniture out of the old house so that they can close out the property. (We thought we had but it turns out the super heavy old desk and dresser were ours). Anyway, we did all we could to get our hands on a truck but due to a branch temple trip to Guayaquil, every single contact was busy. So, helpless as we were, we decided maybe we could walk the furniture the ½ mile or so to the new house. And here’s the comedy – that’s right when the skies opened and released the downpour. Long story, short: we got very, very wet, and very quickly. Like I said, comedy. We laughed it off and went back to work.

This was a good week. We have several families getting ready for baptism next week. We’ve been finalizing details and answering the questions of the family Lopez (the parents of grown daughters who were baptized about 2 months ago). Hermana Veronica (Lopez) has been very kind and generous with some delicious Colombian food. Elder Quispe and I have decided that everyone from Colombia knows how to cook delicious food. I really enjoy the Colombian empanadas and papas peyellenos and, of course, the various meat and bean plates she cooks. Remember when I ate hoof stew at the coast? Hermana Veronica served us caldo de pata de res which is the Colombian version of hoof stew and it wasn’t bad! She cooked it in a pressure cooker which really softened the tendons, veins, fatty tissue and skin. It was almost, almost like sushi in a weird way because of how soft the meat was. Way better than the last time I had it at the coast 6 months ago. (That reminds me, I’m craving sushi really badly. Where is Sushi Deli when I need it, Mitch?)

I’m doing well. I apologize this letter is relatively short and lacking feeling. My advice for the week is to treat everyone as if today were one of those clear sky, sunshine-y days. And even if you’re not going to the beach, apply that attitude to whatever endeavor you have taken up. I’ve learned that skipping out the door with a smile has a profound ability to change course of my day for the better. And that, in turn, can also change for the better the day of everyone else around me. I love you all and hope you are well.

With affection,


Elder Ericksen



No comments:

Post a Comment