Monday, April 3, 2017

Week 32 - Stand Up On the Inside

Dearest family and friends,

Wow, wow, wow, something amazing has occured! I just enjoyed the first real shower of my entire mission so far. We all remember my situation at the coast and the whole bucket-pitcher deal. I promise you, I was in and out of that shower superquick. Then I arrived here in Tulcan and we got robbed, and moved over to the house with the elders on the south side of town. I never said anything bad about the shower there because I was just grateful to be able to stand under a warmish stream of water. But it was always super cold in that house and it cancelled any warmth out! However, we are living in our new apartment in our sector. The first shower I took here was a failure because I was so used to putting the water pressure as low as I could in the old house so that the electric-box-wire-mess thingie could have a chance of heating up the dribbles as they trickled out. Sadly, when I did that with this new shower it didn’t activate the gas-heating box on our roof, so only cold water came out and it was freezing! But tonight…tonight I’m just getting home after a long day of extremely hard work. I tried the shower again and I got it to work and oh, gloria, it’s beautiful! For the first time in seven months I thought to myself “well, I guess just one more minute will be ok.”

I really hope you can all feel the excitement in my voice because I’m really rather delighted. But I also have a weird sense of guilt, too. I had this feeling once before, when we went to a nice mall in Ibarra and it felt like home. It felt like my Ecuador-world and my USA-world were clashing that night…a wave of emotion like I was somehow closer to home and familiar surroundings but in reality, I really still couldn’t have been farther from it. Well tonight I am feeling the same way, but in some ways even worse, because I know and love so many wonderful people here…people I know are showering with raw, cold water, some in make shift showers, outside, fed by little more than a garden hose. That night, back in Ibarra, I reasoned I felt bad because I wanted to keep my Ecuador-life and my USA-life separate. But now I realize I was wrong and jaded. Now I am coming to appreciate it more deeply. What I’m realizing is, despite loving my first warm shower in 7-months, I’m actually happier and more comfortable living my life more similarly to the people I am trying to help. It gives me a stronger sense of empathy and helps me feel like I can help in a more genuine way when I live as they do.

I also just need to be more thankful because, truth is, complaining about waiting 7 months for a sweet shower is just a way messed-up, backward way of being a spoiled, ignorant kid. In my case, I promise I’m not complaining. I’ve learned to earnestly pray, with deep thanks and gratitude, for every plate of food placed in front of me, and every genuine smile received from these wonderful Ecuadorian people. Sorry for these somber thoughts tonight. I’ll be back on Saturday to summarize the week.

So it’s Saturday now and we ended up finishing off a great week here. We held an awesome activity at the Church last night with games, hot chocolate, and makeshift grilled cheese sandwiches. Yesterday there was an Easter procession, not related to our Church but intriguing all the same, with three shirtless men on homemade crosses being carried through town. We heard about a fight breaking out later between two women in the same gathering but we had left by that point so who knows? And then today I got to watch General Conference and will be able to listen to the rest tomorrow. To close this week’s letter, I’d like to relate a port of a talk given in conference. I hope you don’t mind.

A man named Gary B Sabin talked on the subject of why we need to be “All In” to a good cause and why being “All In” can bring us confidence despite the tasks ahead being difficult. As part of his remarks, he shared a story about an inquisitive child taking swings at a human-shaped punching bag that always bounced back and stood back up regardless of how hard he hit it. The father asked the child why he thought the punching bag bounced back, time after time. The simple and innocent answer of the child hit me hard and has me reflecting on my mental toughness. The child replied that the punching bag bounces back because it is "always standing up on the inside". We need to be like this boxing training tool. We need to stand up on the inside by putting all of our trust in whatever goal or good cause we find ourselves engaging in. Once we reach this level, strengthen our foundation and add weight, we become rooted and nothing can knock us down.

I feel blessed and thankful for all the support I received from my beloved family and friends that help me add weight and standing power to my inside. Life is good! As Elder Quispe loves to say “estamos trabajando como bestias”…”we are working like beasts.” I miss you all and will see you soon. Chao!


- EE









Plated out of California - last registered in 2009. A little bit of home is here with me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment