Monday, March 20, 2017

Week 30 - Adventures in Colombia


Dearest friends and family,

I’m going to use this week’s letter to catch you up on my Colombian adventure from ~10 days ago because I ran out of time and wasn’t able to tell you all about it last week.

Our adventure started off on Thursday night (March 9), when four new elders arrived into Tulcan, coming from all different parts of the mission. They, combined with Elder Morales and Elder Arrieta who were already here in Tulcan would be the first six elders to serve in the new Colombian sectors of the Ecuador Quito North mission. Even though they were moving over, we all were required to go into Columbia to declare ourselves as missionaries and that’s exactly what we did. We woke up early Friday morning to have allow enough time for all 8 of us to shower and then left the house to go meet up with Pres. Murphy. Arriving in front of his hotel, we were greeted friendlily by him and a few other important church members including the woman in charge of church visas for Ecuador, the man in charge of Church travel in Columbia, and a very friendly driver. We all loaded into the vehicles and headed north.

My first impression of Colombia came at the border crossing which happens to be a bridge with a really cool name, La Puente Rumichaka. I love that the one legal border crossing in this region is a bridge. We got in line early in the day so there weren’t many people, got our passports stamped by the immigration officials, and continued on our way in the country. Our destination was a city called Pasto which isn’t terribly far from Tulcan geographically but, thanks to the windy Andean roads, sits almost 3 hours north of the border by car. Columbia is a beautiful country. Naturally, I’m a little biased in favor of Ecuador for obvious reasons, but Colombia is a gorgeous country.
Zooming along the mountainous countryside in a van filled with awesome elders is an event I will never forget. Every few kilometers we passed fruit stands with fruits I promise not even Trader Joe’s has. Every few fruit stands brought Army guys with big machine guns protecting the highways and people from the guerrillas. And every few groups of Army dudes brought scenic waterfalls and viewpoints of lush landscape in this amazing country. I didn’t take many photos but it was seriously impressive drive. We arrived safely in Pasto at about 10 in the morning and started the Visa registration process. Everything went very smoothly, including the office’s 2-hour lunch break which gave us just enough time to find a Colombian lunch. I did manage to get a picture of my bandeja paisa and it’s a photo that I’m incredibly proud of. We finished up in the office at around 3:30 and began the long trek back to the border area. This time I had the privilege of riding with Pres. Murphy in his car along with Elders Morales and Castagno. Pres. Murphy is a truly caring and genuine man whom I respect deeply. He always finds a way to make sure that we missionaries feel of his love and concern on a very personal level. This day he showed his love through a peanut butter and jelly sandwich made with real Skippy peanut butter. Oh it was delightful! He took us on a little tour of Ipiales and we got to see both of the chapels and a few members before making our way back across the border into Ecuador around 7:30. It was a wonderful day and a huge blessing to be with him and to see a new part of the world.


This week life returned back to normal with just 4 of us missionaries in Tulcan again. On Saturday I learned my companion, Elder Miranda, will be going across the border and serving in Branch 1 in Ipiales. My new companion is Elder Quispe and I look forward to meeting and beginning to work with him this week! I  was nearly bitten by a dog today. In other words, it was essentially biting my leg in my thigh region but I thought fast and hit it in the face with my scriptures. I’m stoked because now I can truthfully tell people that the word of God actually saved my life! (Anyone who knows me knows I love lame jokes.) Let me end this week’s letter with something more inspirational - something that one of Tulcan’s graffiti-poetry artists painted on a wall we walk by each day which reads: “Aunque me fuercen, nunca voy a decir que el pasado fue major…manana es mejor.” Even if I’m forced, I will never say that the past was better…tomorrow is always better.)  How true. I love you all. Have a great week!

- EE





No comments:

Post a Comment