Monday, June 4, 2018

Week 93 - The Miracle of Simplicity



To my friends and family,
So miracle #3 of my mission: simplicity. Simplicity has forever changed the way I live and observe the world.
As I have been thinking about how I want to structure this letter about the third miracle of my mission, I am inspired to start by sharing about another family that is yet again impacting my life. I will change their names.
Hermano Moreno is someone we met through his next-door neighbor, a lesser-active member of the church. The first time I met Hermano Moreno he was really sweaty. He had recently arrived home from his work as a maracuya (a.k.a. passion fruit) salesman. He has a little red truck and a beard that results from shaving less than once a week. He leaves at 6am each morning, drives his truck to the farms in the rural areas of Esmeraldas, buys 3 sacks each full of 100 maracuyas and then sells them 10 for $1 to anyone and everyone willing to buy. Sometimes he parks his truck to sell them on the side of the road. Other days he drives up and down the neighborhood streets seeking customers. When I met him, he explained that he had made $15 for his efforts, which was a good day. He explained that to feed his wife and daughter each day, he needs $1 of plantains, $1 of eggs, $2 of rice, $4 of chicken and $2 of vegetables to add flavor and nutrients. He was happy to have made his $10 for the next day. “And the other $5,” I asked? "That’s to put gas in the truck, so I can do it all again tomorrow."
Hermano Moreno typically gets home around 4:30pm, hugs his daughter, eats a leftover maracuya, and is all smiles as he shakes our hands. He is a great guy. His house is made of cinder blocks, stacked roughly 10 rows high. The house has 3 rooms and a kitchen. He doesn’t have doors separating the rooms and the floor is concrete. He has a refrigerator, a stove and a microwave and enough furniture to seat 6. Instead of glass windows, he has holes cut out of the cinder block walls covered by metal grates so no one comes in, and bed sheets hung for some privacy. He has enough clothes to only have to wash them once a week. He has 6 plates, 3 cups, a few forks, knives, spoons and pots to cook and eat, a pitcher to put some juice, a simple cell phone for emergencies, a bed, a bed for his daughter, and some linens. And that is all. Like really, that is everything he owns. I just fit everything he has owns in less than a paragraph. Think of how many things we have back in the states. How many pages could you fill just talking about house things, car things, personal things, work things, or school things? Just stuff?
I told Hermano Moreno that I am from California and he was impressed. He said he would really enjoy living there. Hearing him say this is what impacted me the most. I thought for a moment and then asked, “really?” I told him that I would one day go back there but that I would be taking with me as much of “here” as possible. He smiled again, looked at his wife, and said, “yeah, we do live good here. But I’d still like to see California.” His daughter came out of the backroom with another maracuya and hugged her father. The hug was so calm, joyful, and satisfied.
I’m not saying that I want concrete floors or that I’ll be looking for opportunities to wash my clothes by hand when I return home. And I recognize the blessing of the millions of things that make life so great in the United States. But I am saying that for the last two years of my life my list of “stuff” hasn’t been much longer than Hermano Moreno's and I’ve really grown accustomed to it. I appreciate more and see the practical purpose of everything I have. To be honest, having so little gives me a lot of inner peace and satisfaction. I know my place, I know my purpose, I know what I have to do everyday, and I have no problems focusing on it. I feel really organized, efficient, and productive.
Miracle #3 of my mission is not that I’ve learned to live in conditions like those of Hermano Moreno, but rather that I’ve grown to appreciate the satisfaction and bliss that comes from living simply. Don’t feel like you need to throw everything away to get your possessions down to a half-page list of stuff, but do evaluate what you have and consider applying the principle. I’ve become a really happy, simple, guy. I love you all!
- EE


No comments:

Post a Comment