Sunday, March 4, 2018

Week 80 - Let's Have Hope



Dearest Friends and Family,
This week I’m impressed at how pleasant it has become to let things come and go from my life. Some variables don’t change like the need to breathe, eat, and drink. I would also never deny the importance of being constant in our work, diligent, and responsible. However, recently my surroundings have been changing and evolving at an ever-increasing rate.
Observing the mission transfer cycle is a beautiful exchange that occurs here every six weeks. Although it is sad sending away the missionaries who have finished their service on Monday of week one, Tuesday morning offers me the task of mentoring and feeding the energetic, recently arrived missionaries, which immediately boosts my excitement and joy.
Other recent changes have brought different kinds of ups and downs. Elder Castagno (who I’ve been serving with since February 2017) finished his 6-month assignment in the office and was just transferred to Otavalo as a zone leader. And our awesome mission nurse, Hermana Alvarenga, finished her mission and headed back to her home in Canada. That was a big change for me because the financiero (finance clerk) works closely with the mission nurse to make sure mission medical expenses are paid. Our new mission nurse is Elder Jones from Sandy, Utah, and he worked for years as a physician’s assistant before being called to our mission with his wife. I am assigned to be a district leader again, this time over the assistants, secretaries, and another group of Hermanas. We are teaching lots of new people. I’m studying new things in the scriptures. We are doing different, more relaxed things on P-day. I have a new companion, Elder Ross, who I am training to be the new finance clerk in the office. I’m waiting for college acceptance letters from the UCs and BYU. I’m sure that there are many new and different things in my home with my family and friends, and don’t even get me started with the new music that must be all over the radio! There is lots of new.
Remember how I mentioned that it has been pleasant? Well, it’s because I have loved all of it. I’ve loved meeting new people, planning for new events, and smiling all around town, accomplishing duty after duty with hope. If I could suggest one thing that pushes me forward more than anything else, it is hope.
One of the people we are teaching, Jonathon, understands hope. He has changed many things in an effort to improve his quality of life. He informed us that he was known to frequent the fosh, which is a part of Quito where clothing stores and restaurants become lesser-lit bars and clubs. Now, he tells his friends he is busy in order to be able to spend time with us, learning and seeking greater understanding about the purpose and potential of his life. Why? Because he hopes, correctly, that there is something more out there specifically for him. He is the second doctor I’ve been able to teach in the mission (Yolanda, from my last sector, was the 1st) and it is incredible feeling how true it is – what we missionaries do – when we are in the midst of deep conversations with him that sheds light on his questions - questions that every one of us has.
I don’t know what will come my way in the remaining 6 months that I have here in my mission. I don’t know who my next companion will be. I don’t know where I will next be assigned to serve. I don’t know what other people I will meet and begin to love in Ecuador. I love the people here so much. I don’t know what other experiences will yet come my way, experiences that will change my life. I don’t know where I will go to college. I really don’t even know what it will be like to get back home and to see what is there waiting for me. But what I do know is that everything is going to be exactly how it is supposed to be. It will all be perfect. That is my hope. I have faith that fills my heart almost to bursting.
I love you all lots. Let’s all do everything we can to have lots of hope this week. If you hunt, I promise there is something that you can do to find more reasons to smile and more ways to lift.
Elder Ericksen
"This is Presidente Tello, my branch president from the coast. I saw him in the bus terminal!!! It was so crazy for me and brought back tons of feelings and memories. He says the branch is a ward now and he is 1st counselor."




It's like mustard...(my guess)





Adam's former companion (Cayambe) and trainee, Elder Cuevas






No comments:

Post a Comment