Monday, October 10, 2016

Week 7 - Hot and Sweaty in Esmeraldas


Friends and family,

So much has happened the past 10 days that I couldn’t possibly hope to share it all with you in an effective manner. So I am going to try to focus on the highlights. Traveling was exhausting and when I arrived in Quito, I had a full day awaiting me still. I pushed through the orientations, interviews, and multiple car rides where there were definitely more passengers than seat belts. After all this, my district of 14 people from Mexico and I arrived at our first night’s extremely beaten down apartment. It had beds and blankets for everyone but that is where the amenities abruptly halted. It was really small and I was happy to pack up and get out the next morning.

The next day was an exciting one, not doubt about it. They gave us some flavored-milk-type beverage (I got blackberry) for breakfast and immediately started back up with the rules and mission formalities. I was antsy to receive my first companion and first assignment, which only made sitting on those hard plastic chairs even harder. I was assigned to a companion by the name of Elder Fernandez who is from Bolivia. More specifically, Yacuiba, Bolivia if you know the area. I got assigned to a decently sized and very humble zone that is called Aire Libre in the coastal region of Esmeraldas. Try to see if you can find that on Google Maps, Nick.

First impressions…things are so extremely different than the United States, and from my home, that it’s going to take 2 or 3 weeks, or 35, to start feeling like a normal person again. I don’t know what I was expecting though. I am happy to be here, I love what I am doing, and I am finding joy in the service and the experience. But oh man, I am so far away from home.

When I walked into the apartment that will be staying in for at least the next 12 weeks, I was taken aback by the smell of iron / metal and the bathroom. We didn’t have water that day apparently and when there’s no water, there’s no flushing toilets. I’ve come to learn that water will show up eventually, the key is just guessing what 3 hour window it will come. And when it comes we fill up buckets for showers and dish washing. We also buy big jugs at the store – don’t worry I am safe and alive. I am just transitioning. Another thing that has set me back is the humidity. Most of the sleeping arrangements through the church thus far have included a blanket. But not here; it was just a dirty mattress with an even dirtier pillow. But you don’t need a blanket here because it is very hot. You also don’t need a glass window here. In most of the houses, including mine, there is just a hole with a metal frame to keep out intruders and most of the mangy stray dogs. Therefore I have a mosquito net around my bed that has been working pretty well. I’m extremely thankful for that. You know, I’m also extremely thankful for my apartment; don’t allow my words to misconstrue your perception of my feelings. Out of the other casas in Esmeraldas, ours is definitely one of the nicest. We have tile floors instead of concrete which means I can flop around in my flip flops instead of close-toed shoes.

Another thing that has been setting me back is the language. In Bolivia they must speak the same type of Spanish as they do in Esmeraldas. They speak bien rapido, and truncate all of their words in random ways. What I am trying to say is that my “superior” (sarcasm) Spanish skills have been rendered completely useless here with my companion and all of the other people that live by the coast. It’s been frustrating not being able to talk with anyone in this country but I am staying faithful. And I do get better every day. My first lesson – I’ve taught maybe 12-13 in 5 days – my first was at the top of this steep, dirt hill. We were knocking on doors of really run down apartments and for this one door, a super buff, tattooed man opened and greeted us coldly. But he invited us to sit at his make-shift table and we began teaching, asking some questions to get to know him better. After saying my best attempt at an introduction, I reached out my hand to shake his. Something caught the sunlight and glistened…his brass knuckles! And, in that moment, I forgot every Spanish word I had ever learned. The following lessons were much better and only keep getting better. I love teaching, it’s the one thing that gets my mind off of negative moods.

Every once in a while I catch a reflection of myself in some glass or a car window. And I see a really sweaty, 18-year-old kid from California, with a black shoulder bag and a black name tag, surrounded by dirt, rocks, cinderblock houses, trying to speak Spanish. It’s in those moments that I feel like it’s all a dream and soon I’ll wake up and jump out of bed and go hug my parents. But this isn’t a dream. This is real, this is my reality, and now it’s time to go to work. Only 97 weeks left. I hope that anyone who will have the opportunity to read this letter will have an amazing week, and know that they mean a lot to me - when I feel lonely and when I feel happy.

Much affection,
Elder Ericksen

In addition to the letter, we were able to trade a few brief emails on more specific questions:

  • Esmeraldas is extremely poor and extremely hot and I’ve been having a pretty rough time. All dirt floors and cinderblock houses. They speak extremely fast, extremely lazy Spanish that I really can’t pick out any words. It is so frustrating and isolating not being able to talk to anyone.
  • Three missionaries from my MTC district were sent to the area but aren’t in my district so I don’t know how they are doing. Esmeraldas is the hardest area and not very many missionaries get to see this part of the mission - they usually only send Latinos. I consider it a compliment to be sent here.
  • We have a Zone Conference on Thursday and I am so, so excited. I did meet this one guy named Elder George from a different district and we got to talk for like 15 minutes. First conversation I’ve had since I got here.
  • The apartment is really dirty. We have tile floor and a small bathroom. All I want to do is clean the whole thing but my companion doesn’t really care too much. It’s good though.
  • We do laundry in a bucket. It is the hardest work. My face is always greasy and I bought some baby wipes today. There are dogs everywhere…strays.
  • Yeah, I am in a very, very dirty internet cafe. There are bugs everywhere and there are bugs all over everything in my room.
  • The food is really good. Coast food is the best food. It’s a lot of soups and rice and fish. The weirdest thing so far…they serve up this delicious fish thing called Marisco and I love it. But you eat the scales and the head. I don’t know if fishes have brains or not but, if they do, I definitely ate it. I’m too scared to eat the eyeball though. They also take green, hard plantains and use them like potatoes in soup and French fries. It’s weird.
  •  I am getting hit pretty hard with the negative emotions – mostly from the isolation and not being able to talk to anyone. I just have so much time on my own and can’t understand anything. I am doing well and I don’t want you to worry in the least, I just need to vent a little bit.
  • I love you so much, family. Thank you for your support, truly. I miss you and love you. Goodbye.

    We didn't get any photos this week but here are some screen shots of Adam's neighborhood - thanks google street view.

    With just a little time on Youtube, I found this panorama of the area where Adam is currently serving.








No comments:

Post a Comment