Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Week 52 - The Benefit of Genuine Friends

Dearest friends and family,

I started writing this letter a couple of days ago on the bus but it started sounding negative so I decided to scrap it, start over and write a few words this week about friendship. I remember last year when we got into the “winding down” part of senior year nearly everyone was stressed and on edge with end of year activities. One day information about Prom Court nominations leaked and I overheard in the halls a “whaaaat? Her? She got nominated? I mean…I love her, but no, not her…” A proclamation of disapproval and disappointment regarding a prom court nominee from a supposed “good friend” one breezy Friday afternoon. I didn’t understand and found myself chuckling a little as I watched this stress bring out the predatory instincts of two “friends.” What I took away from that experience is an awareness of genuine friendships in life where the friends want, and find joy in, the success of another. Successes are a reason for both to rejoice and be happy...a moment to sit back and say “wow, good for you, I’m really proud…you did a great job and really deserve this.” And I realized there are friendships that we sometimes find where success of one drives the other crazy and quickly surfaces raw, jealous or other negatives emotions and frustration. I’m sure you’ve seen this play out in real life and can relate to what I’m trying to say.

I bring this up as a long-winded introduction to a topic that has been on my mind lately: the mission has been an amazingly powerful catalyst in helping me appreciate and seek genuine friends.

Elder Cuevas and I got called to Quito twice this week. The first visit was to get his visa paperwork squared away and the second visit was for “verifications”, where the mission leaders and President Murphy verify his progress as a newbie and give us trainers tips in how to be more effective trainers. It was an edifying series of meetings. I remember when I arrived, just 10 months ago, before getting in the car to go to the bus station and heading off to the coast, I asked President Murphy when I would see him next. It was a comfort to be around him and to receive his instruction…a comfort that if any problem should ever arise, he would be there and able to help. In this week’s meetings I picked up on a little of that from the newbies and it brought back a lot of feelings of my own arrival.

All in all, verifications went well but, by far, the best part was getting to spend time with some of my best missionary friends. We got into Quito around 8 and made our way to the “La Luz,” the area of Elders George and Moon, and went to work with them for a few hours. We got some chocolate milk and bread and made our way back to their house for lunch. It’s so comforting talking with someone who completely understands and shares my exact same feelings on so many topics, which is why Elder George and I get along so well. We talked about how sometimes missionaries become like robots and forget about everything that mattered to them before leaving, including their family, friends, and interests and how some even seem to lose their personalities. We reasoned God made us with differences for a reason and those differences are often a necessary tool to be able to do the things He wants us to do. We also decided that sometimes our family members are the ones who most need our help and it’s our duty to be there for them as well. I guess the gist is that we just want to be the best missionaries we can be and that we want to grow and improve; we want to weed out the negative character traits we brought to the mission without changing so much that we lose the positive character traits and who we were before coming out here. Makes sense?

As we were talking and laughing, all of a sudden Elder Castagno walked in! He was getting his visa renewed as well and had traveled down from Ipiales. Oh wow, I can’t even describe the joy we felt in seeing one another: it was all hugs and smiles and laughter the rest of the day and well into the night. These are exactly the types of genuine friends I was talking about in the beginning of my letter. Friends I want to see succeed and who want to see me do well.

I am grateful for your friendship as well. Know that I’m happy, healthy and staying positive while enjoying many new genuine friendships here in Ecuador. Have a great week. I love and miss you all.

Love,

Elder Ericksen



No comments:

Post a Comment