Monday, January 16, 2017

Week 21 - Change is Good


Dearest friends and family,

Hello everyone! It’s a pleasure to be writing you all in these beginning weeks of a new year and to be reflecting on 2016 that has now passed us by. If I had to sum up the last 365 days of life, I think I could do it in one word: change. Granted, the majority of this change happened in the latter half of the year which brought graduation from high school and the start of my 2-year service in Ecuador. Nonetheless, 2016 was a year of change and growth for me and something that I have been thoroughly convinced of as of late is that it’s truly marvelous when those 2 words are coupled. I’ve also been convinced that in more circumstances than not, it’s absolutely necessary that those 2 ideas are coupled – change and progression.

Sitting here in the 2nd week of January, we are in the time of change. In fact, one thing that I really enjoy about my mission is that I get to be out in the streets all day, every day, preaching that exact message: that people can change for the better. And regardless of religious belief or any notion of history, that is the message I would like to convey this week to all of you.

Really it’s quite easy for me to realize that I’m surrounded by change. One factor that made it even easier to see that was the passing of Christmas here in the mission. Instead of my actual family, I was surrounded by President and Sister Murphy, Hermana Rosa, Hermano Enso, my Bolivian sidekick Elder Fernandez and the families of missionary friends that I have acquired in my time here. Instead of cookies, it was pan de manjor that we were eating every night and leaving out for Santa. Instead of stockings, it was clean-ish laundry hanging around the house. Lastley, instead of radio stations and Christmas CDs, it was Ecuadorian choirs that were inviting the Christmas spirit with out of tune carols and “music.”

Even further to highlight the change was my transfer to Tulcan. My sidekick has been changed from one Bolivian to another. My black shower bucket has been changed into a little white, wire infested box that hangs precariously over my head to dribble out WARM WATER (yes excitement implied by those capital letters). My zone of 24 missionary friends has been changed into a district of 4 closely knit comrades. Cow hoof soup is now chicken feet soup. Sweating is now shivering under scarves and sweaters. It's really quite interesting all of the experiences I’ve been having, and truly how different each and every zone in my mission is. Even the people are different here, the ones that we are teaching. There are a lot of Colombian people who come over the border to sell ponchos, jackets and other fabric homemade goods. They’re very nice people and we’re teaching a family that I LOVE who emigrated from Bogota a few years ago.

We did have a little run in with a Colombian on the bus yesterday. Usually the seats are assigned on the bus like an airplane but this day the bus driver made the announcement that it was free seating anywhere. Considering someone was already in our seats, we just filed to the back to all sit together. Things were going fine until this large guy and his wife came up (the last people to board) to us and demanded that we leave his seats. My companion started packing his things to move, slightly humorously. But as our assigned seats were taken and we really wanted to travel together, Elder Morales and I started explaining this to the man who started to become very angry that we were going to stay put. We pointed him to the jefe because we weren’t going to move without being able to return to the seats that we originally purchased. This guy continued the quarrel, pumping his chest and making tough faces like he wanted to fight. The thing is Elder Morales is the Guatemalan National Boxing Champion (not kidding) so we weren’t overly threatened.

Friends and family, regardless of what the things are that cause change in your lives, regardless of what sits in the back of your mind and pricks you from time to time with the thought that you can improve someway, somehow, I’m learning more and more every day that those things aren’t wrong and aren’t necessarily bad. Regardless, if it’s the message of Jesus Christ, Jehovah, Allah, a different faith, a nagging conscience, the good examples of people around you, your family, loved ones, your children, this letter, a TV commercial…whatever it is that leads you to the light and promise of change in your life, listen to it. Have an amazing week everyone! If you are reading this letter, thank you, and you mean so much to me. Until next time!

Much affection,
Elder Ericksen









No comments:

Post a Comment