Monday, December 12, 2016

Week 16 - 12 Days of Christmas

Dearest friends and family,

It’s a pleasure as always to be writing and pondering you all this December evening in humbling Esmeraldas. How about a few, completely random and unrelated questions to start off? When I was getting my hair cut this past week, what function do you think a toothbrush played in the peluqueria process? How many different varieties of mango did I eat this week? How many bananas did I eat this week? Also, pertaining to my haircut, how many hacks did it take to remove a bundle of hair with the barber-sized school scissors? How many people told me they were excited for Christmas this week? How many nights did I sleep with a fan blowing on me? How many people did I baptize? Please keep reading to find the answers!

I’m going to be honest, usually when I write these letters I like to have a plan on paper or in my head. However, this week I don’t really have a plan so I’m just going to talk. That might not be such a bad thing but we’ll see how it goes! Please excuse me if I wander a little bit.

To emphasize what I said starting this letter, hello from the month of December. Decorations are out, plans are being made, I’m getting increasingly excited for my family Facetime call and all of the missionaries have been focusing on service like crazy. Most of the things I’ve done have been minor, but I have helped in some significant ways with things like digging holes for a new house and lugging big water jugs up a steep hill. I should explain better. The entire Church has taken on a commitment of 25 days of service, Dec 1 to Dec 25, in an effort to commemorate Christ and to bring His light into the life of someone this Christmas season. For that reason, I’ve been digging holes, washing dishes, and am scheduled to help paint a house this coming week. It’s all been really good.

I’ve had a really unique perspective of the holidays this year. Every single thing I do, even the more personal things like studying and practicing my Spanish, is for the purpose of helping someone else. I honest to goodness haven’t had time in my schedule to sit down and think about what I would want if I wasn’t here. Someone erected a little metal frame by my house in the shape of a Christmas tree and hung old CDs on it and put a light on top and sure, when I see it, I think about my family and my Christmas tree back home. However, if I had the power to do so, that would be the only thing I’d change – I would have my family here. Other than that, I would keep it all the same because I’m realizing and learning the power and simplicity of true selflessness. Who knows, maybe this is a lesson I need to learn on my own, far away from the people I love. It’s like when the Grinch had to schlep that sleigh with all those stolen presents up that steep, snow-covered mountain, maybe I need to be here, sweating in the coastal sun, away from all the frizz and fluff of the US to have this lesson engraved upon my heart. Wow, I didn’t mean to call myself a Grinch. Was I grinchy before this? Don’t answer haha. The biggest sign of what I am trying to say is reflected in the answers from the mouths of the 3 little kids I asked this week if they were excited for Christmas. Two told me they feel tranquilo about it, that their family is tranquilo. And one other little girl told me yes, because she gets to spend time with her whole family with emphasis on whole. That’s how I want to feel about Christmas and how I’ve been privileged to feel the past 2 weeks. Tranquilo because really that is the foundation of it all: love, family, selflessness and admiration for Him. Sorry I’m hitting you all with the Christmas thoughts so early, who knows what I’ll write for the 25th now!

In other news, routine is becoming a very good friend of mine. I’m starting to get into the groove and starting to figure out the little things that make my days more productive and more enjoyable. I’ve got a cycle down for doing laundry. I’ve realized that when I am ready to leave earlier than my companion, it’s a great time to wash the dishes I am going to want when I get back home, later in the night time. I’ve found a good little store near my house to buy bananas from during the week. I ate 6 bananas and 2 platanos today. I found the perfect position for my bed fan and discovered that I’m infinitely more comfortable if I wash my arms before sleeping. I’m getting the Spanish much better and even answering phone calls now. I figured out that I can stop the bug bites on my feet and legs if I just wear pants all the time. Also, I’ve started making some friends with people in my branch! One of them is Hermano Trejo. He’s amazing even though I would wager none of you could understand him, regardless of whether you speak Spanish or not. Two weeks ago he told me there were more than 40 completely different types of mangoes in the country, each with a unique flavor. Since I called him on it that day, he has been giving me a different mango every time I see him. And so far he’s been right. This week alone, I’ve tried 6 or 7 different types of mango. One of my favorites have been Mango de Chupar which is a smaller, extremely sweet, creamy mango that you just kind of work over in your hands, bite a little hole into and then suck all the juice out. It’s delicious, like candy…no, better than candy because technically it’s fruit!

Overall it’s been a great week and I’m staying in good spirits. We got to baptize Hermana Soraida this week which was special. Oh, that reminds me, what questions do I still need to answer? A ver…the toothbrush was used to brush my baby hairs back into place after the barber ran a raw razor blade along the edges of my hair. It required a lot of hacks with the school scissors. Zero people told me they were excited for Christmas the way we do in the States and the banana count has got to be more than 20. Have a delightful week my friends and family. Until next time…

With affection,

Elder Ericksen
  • Adam received a huge backlog of packages many people have sent since he left – he plans to open one per night leading up to Christmas – his personal 12 days of Christmas. The first one he opened had his special yellow and blue Ecuador tie which he’s enjoying a ton. Thanks to everyone who has sent him something!
  • Adam's companion is from rural Bolivia and had never seen nor previously tasted red licorice. Lisa mailed that package back on August 12th (two weeks before he left) so we're betting it was pretty stale and chewy at this point. Just like I like it! :)
  • Adam was gifted the largest avocado he’s ever seen (or eaten) by a downstairs neighbor this week. He made an avocado milk shake to go with Mamba’s candy his grandmother mailed to him.
  • Adam learned his zone won’t be going to Quito to participate in the mission Christmas party they are just too far out. President Murphy is expected to come and visit them on the 23rd.
  • Adam was happy to make his first grilled cheese sandwich in country using sunflower oil as butter and “fresco” rey leche cheese which is white squeky “taco” cheese. Quote: “Ecuador beats the US in fruits, juice and coconuts and many other things but we kill them in cheese and dairy in general.” Adam is really craving creamy foods and flavors and would die for some American guacamole or creamy pasta.
  • About 80 people attend church each Sunday and there are ~20 dedicated youth who attend seminary 3 nights a week and just had a big EFY conference in nearby Tolita.





No comments:

Post a Comment